Warsaw Ghetto Uprising, April 19th 1943 - May 16th, 1943 (pt. 2)
Between July 22 and September 12, 1942, the German authorities deported or murdered around 300,000 Jews in the Warsaw ghetto. SS and police units deported 265,000 Jews to the Treblinka killing center and 11,580 to forced-labor camps. The Germans and their auxiliaries murdered more than 10,000 Jews in the Warsaw ghetto during the deportation operations. The German authorities granted only 35,000 Jews permission to remain in the ghetto, while more than 20,000 Jews remained in the ghetto in hiding. For the at least 55,000-60,000 Jews remaining in the Warsaw ghetto, deportation seemed inevitable.
ZOB commander Mordecai Anielewicz commanded the Jewish fighters in the Warsaw ghetto uprising. Armed with pistols, grenades (many of them homemade), and a few automatic weapons and rifles, the ZOB fighters stunned the Germans and their auxiliaries on the first day of fighting, forcing the German forces to retreat outside the ghetto wall. German commander SS General Jürgen Stroop reported losing 12 men, killed and wounded, during the first assault on the ghetto. On the third day of the uprising, Stroop’s SS and police forces began razing the ghetto to the ground, building by building, to force the remaining Jews out of hiding. Jewish resistance fighters made sporadic raids from their bunkers, but the Germans systematically reduced the ghetto to rubble. The German forces killed Anielewicz and those with him in an attack on the ZOB command bunker on 18 Mila Street, which they captured on May 8. (source)
Jewish partisans taken prisoner by the German forces.
SS soldiers hold Jewish managers of the Brauer factory - a helmet repair business on Nalewka street no. 28-38.
German soldiers confront Jewish Rabbis in the Warsaw ghetto.
A man with his arms raised in an act of surrender emerges from hiding to face German soldiers.
Jews forced out of hiding by German soldiers during the uprising.
Jews pulled out of hiding by German soldiers on Nowolipie street.
German soldiers on Nowolipie street, between Smocza and Karmelicka.
Two Ukrainian askaris (Red Army deserters who joined the German forces) stand over the bodies of murdered Jews on Kupiecka street no. 18.
Jewish prisoners on their way to the Umschlagplatz (loading square) from which they were deported to extermination camps.
The remnants of the Warsaw ghetto which was, in accordance with Adolf Hitler’s orders, razed to the ground after the quelling of the uprising.